Granted, I may be living a laissez-faire lifestyle but do not mistake that for aimless misdirection. In fact I have several targeted goals over the next 6 months and I have very specific plans in place to achieve those personal goals.
- Run a marathon in France (Marathon du Medoc)
- Participate in a sprint triathlon
- Learn conversational Italian
I will fully admit that I had gotten lazy over the years, lost focus, and even abandon sound principles of goal setting. The result, a lot of talk and little action. In order to achieve anything of serious accomplishment you need sound planning, enthusiasm, and commitment.
Goal setting is quite easy, and I encourage you to follow some of these principles to achieving your own bucket list.
Clarify your goal, be more specific. “I want to learn Italian” - too vague to be actionable.
- I want to order dinner in full Italian and be able to understand the waiter.
- I want to ask for directions in Italian and understand the response.
- I want to be able to describe myself and activities at a bar.
Further refine each portion of your goal into smaller actionable tasks.
- Learn Italian words for foods that I will be ordering.
- Learn basic phrases in Italian that are used for ordering food.
Take your timeline and chunk it into daily, weekly, and monthly targets.
- Working backwards assign your goals to your monthly targets.
- Assign actionable tasks to your weekly targets.
- Create the necessary work and approaches to do daily in order to achieve weekly targets.
Make yourself accountable.
- Share with friends and family.
- Share using social media. Create a blog, Facebook, Twitter
- Join a club.
Learn to enjoy the journey.
- Revel in the success along the way and not just at the end.
- The path isn’t straight. You will adjust the original plan as time progresses.
- Recognize the energy dips and failures and learn from them.
- Be realistic…you probably won’t be doing anything on Friday nights.
I hope you all will tackle something you are longing to achieve in your own life. I have drafted my own plan and calendar for both the Marathon and Learning Italian. I have begun the same process for the Triathlon. Turn off the TV and start today!